The Very First Fitting
So, you’re a pointe shoe newbie and you’re very excited about getting your first pair of pointe shoes. Before you come in, there are some things you and your parents need to know.
- We stop fitting pointe shoes ONE FULL HOUR before we close…that means you must arrive no later than 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday and no later than 3:00 pm on Saturday. If you arrive after the deadline you will be asked to come back another day.
- Your very first fitting can take an hour or more.
- Pointe shoes are not like any other shoe you’ve ever worn. They are very tight and uncomfortable.
- Pointe shoes must fit your foot as exactly as possible because they will get bigger as you wear them. Unlike a regular ballet shoe, there can’t be any “growing room”.
- It’s probably going to hurt your toes to dance on pointe, so prepare yourself. However, the right shoe can help to make this more tolerable.
- Three to four months is the “average” life of a pointe shoe…if you have a growth spurt or a very strong foot it might be even less. Pointe shoes are not really made to last an entire year of wear, so don’t feel bad if your pointe shoes don’t last that long…6 months to a year is a SUPER LONG LIFE for a pointe shoe and it doesn’t happen very often.